Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Typewriter Cover

The end result

Todays project was to make a better cover for the selectric than an old tee shirt. Allie and I went to Joanns, got fabric and she basically took over. She was in and out of the room going from the sewing machine and back. The end result other than a few slight difficulties was great! It made me wonder though, what to you guys do for overing your desktop machines? I mean portables can be put away, but even then, do you cover it or...


  1. With the portables I have, I usually just put a microcloth or pad of paper over the top, making sure to cover typeslugs and ribbon area.

  2. Wow! That's a pretty fantastic cover. I personally have a dust cover for mine that came with it originally, but it is a horrible vinyl; and no where near as nice as this one. Kudos to the wife.

  3. Really nice job there on that cover.

  4. Very nice! I'm impressed. The label is a whimsical touch...cute.

    I have, as I keep saying, at least one too many standards, so this cover thing has been on my mind, too. The SG-1 came with a very nice handmade cover made out of upholstery fabric. For the moment, the SG-3 gets draped with a small, very heavy checkered blue tablecloth (cotton canvas, I think), the Ambassador is borrowing the SG-1's cover, and the SG-1 has a folded sheet over it.

  5. I knew there was a method. Nice LFP! It's funny how we all want to take good care of our machines and keep out the dust (I know I do). As nice as it is, to look over and see your typewriter, you know it's for the best that it is covered and safe from the dust bunnies.

  6. I love that! Tell her to give us the pattern particulars.

    I have a drawer full of old vinyl covers I bought for a song at Acme in North Little Rock. My favorite cover, though is very special. I guess it's time I pulled that one out...

  7. That's fantastic!
    One of mine has a few yards of fabric draped loosely over it.
    One has a 'cover' that's just the plastic packaging in which a bedspread came.
    One is in a Hefty bag (oh, the shame).
    One is completely uncovered on the floor in my loft (ditto about the shame).
    I need to do something about that.

  8. I keep a Royal Aristocrat portable on my desk, even though I have the case for it. I just don't like the hassle of having to put it away every time I use it. So I made a dust cover out of pretty much the same material you are using here, except mine is dark brown. It works great!